Monday 20 July 2015

Know About PITUITARY TUMORS


                                                          PITUITARY TUMORS

A pituitary tumor can cause your pituitary gland to produce too much or too few hormones, which can cause problems in your body. Large pituitary tumors — those measuring about 1 centimetre or larger — are known as macroadenomas. Smaller tumors are called microadenomas. Macroadenomas can put pressure on the rest of the pituitary gland and nearby structures.


Signs and symptoms

Headache ,Vision loss, particularly loss of peripheral vision, Nausea and vomiting, Symptoms of pituitary hormone deficiency, Weakness, Less frequent or no menstrual periods, Body hair loss, Sexual dysfunction, Increased frequency and amount of urination, Unintended weight loss or gain.

Investigations & Management

Investigation of a patient presenting with evidence of a pituitary tumour has three main objectives: investigation of any hormonal hypersecretion; assessment of residual pituitary function, and examination of any mass effect of the tumour.


A prolactin-secreting adenoma is often easily diagnosed by performance of a basal prolactin level. Biochemical assessment to exclude acromegaly or Cushing's disease should only be performed if clinically indicated. The standard investigations for acromegaly consist of establishing the degree of growth hormone (GH) suppression following a glucose load and estimating the basal insulin-like growth factor-I level. Before detailed investigation for Cushing's disease is initiated, the presence of Cushing's syndrome must be established. The second requirement is to determine the presence of any pituitary hyposecretion. Whilst the remainder of pituitary function can be assessed by baseline hormonal estimations, the evaluation of ACTH and GH secretion necessitates dynamic function testing. Lastly, the impact of the mass itself requires careful examination. Both neuroradiology, preferably magnetic resonance imaging at a centre specialized in examination of the pituitary fossa, and careful detailed clinical examination of the visual fields should be performed. The follow-up requirements in an individual patient are affected by a number of factors including the size and nature of the underlying tumour and any treatment administered. In patients with a hormone-secreting tumour, the hormone levels themselves provide a 'tumour marker' to aid follow-up. An important caveat, however, is that on some occasions tumour size and hormone levels do not change in parallel. Patients who have undergone pituitary surgery should have dynamic assessment of pituitary function performed approximately 6 weeks after surgery. There is no reason to suspect any further impairment of pituitary function after this date. In direct contrast, pituitary hormone deficiencies after radiotherapy are unlikely less than 6 months after treatment. Patients should undergo testing of pituitary reserve at 6 months, and then at yearly intervals for at least 10 years after radiotherapy, if they have not already developed panhypopituitarism. Even after this period, if patients develop new symptoms the possibility of further pituitary hormone deficits should be considered. Neuroradiology should be performed approximately 6 weeks to 3 months after surgery. If radiotherapy is not administered, neuroradiology should be performed yearly for at least 10 years. If the patient has received radiotherapy, tumour recurrence is much less likely and therefore in these individuals neuroradiology does not need to be performed with such regularity. 

1 comment:

  1. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer disease,Dementia,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete